Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Favorite Thursday Challenges!

Hi, everyone! Happy Thursday! Joanne is hosting this week's My Favorite Challenge on the MFT Member Company Forum. The challenge is to make a gift card holder.

I had fun making this card. The images are from the set Let's Hear It for the Boys, and the papers are from the Kaleidoscope collection by My Mind's Eye. I paper pieced the chair, then I popped up the arm and footrest on dimensionals. I also popped up the TV. I machine stitched around the paper panels.

Quick Tip: When paper piecing, use a marker on the edges of the paper pieced images to create dimension.


To make the gift card holder, I used a template that I rely on quite often. Gina K. has a great tutorial for how to make it HERE on her blog. I used a Word Window punch to create the opening for the gift card. When presenting the card, the gift card would actually be facing the other way, but I turned it around here so I could show you the inside of the card! :)

The other card I have to share today is for this week's MFT Sketch Challenge. I made this for my daughter Megan. She left last night on a plane with a group of about 30 girls from her high school -- they are on a 9-day tour of France. It was NOT easy putting her on that plane, but I know she's going to have the experience of a lifetime (you all keep reminding me of that, okay?)!

The background paper is a map of France -- courtesy of Mapquest! I printed it out on SU! Whisper White cardstock. Megan begins her tour in Paris and ends in Nice -- I made sure both were pictured on the map (Paris over WTG's right shoulder, Nice next to her suitcase). I stamped the skyline image on the panels in Watermark ink by Clearsnap, and I heat embossed with SU! clear EP. The white crystals, ribbon and button are from My Favorite Things.

Whew -- it's been a crazy couple of days! Between the MFT release and Megan leaving, I'm about ready for a nap! No rest for the weary, though -- I have more stamps that need to see some ink! I'm off to see what I can get done today!

Thank you SO much for visiting today and every day -- I really do appreciate it! :)

Have a great day!
Christina


7 comments:

Dawn Easton said...

Oh I am sure Megan will have a wonderful trip and certainly one that she'll have fabulous memories of! I can understand how difficult it must have been putting her on the plane though!

Both cards are awesome! Love the paper piecing on your Dad card!
That paper is perfect on your second card!!

Tina said...

Your cards are wonderful! I really like the paper piecing on the chair. I have not attempted paper piecing yet due to just starting to get into stamping more than scrapbooking, but have added it to my list of things to try soon. I look forward to your post every day to see what new things you create. Keep up the good work. And...hang in there, your little girl will be back home before you know it.

Alyssa S said...

What great cards - I love all the dimension on the first and the use of the actual map on the second! Your girl will have a great time and be back before you know it!

Amy Sheffer said...

These are awesome, Christina! Your dimension on the first is incredible! And what a great idea to use a mapquest background!

Jody Morrow said...

That gift card holder is awesome and I LOVE the other card too! Those are awesome!

Nancy Riley said...

Christina, these are some first class designs! So much interest with your pattern choices and the depth you give to your designs! I love them both!

Alex said...

These are fabulous Christina!!!! Absolutely love them!! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex