Friday, August 10, 2007

It's Salsa Time!

Last summer, Chris built a small raised garden bed (about 3'x6') for me so I could have a little "salsa garden." I grow cilantro, tomatoes (2 varieties) and peppers (banana, jalapeno, and green bell). This year, Chris wanted to throw in a Habenero pepper plant as well. Why, you might ask? I don't know -- I guess he's a glutton for punishment. :) Anyway, here are some of this year's fruits. We got a late start planting, and I've been battling just to keep everything alive with this terrible heat, so we had our first harvest a little later than I'd hoped (just a couple weeks ago).


I now have enough tomatoes to make my salsa! I found this recipe last year at allrecipes.com -- it's really good and tastes like fresh restaurant salsa. I thought I'd share it in case anyone would like to try it:

Jen's Fresh and Spicy Salsa

5-7 Roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and chopped
10 green onions, chopped
2 fresh Jalapeno peppers, seeded
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbs lime juice
2 Tbs hot pepper sauce
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt

In a blender, pulse the tomatoes, green onions, jalapenos, and cilantro until smooth. Pour into a bowl. Add the other ingredients, stirring to combine well. Refrigerate 1-2 hours before serving.

Enjoy! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love salsa! Sounds YUMMY!!!

Anonymous said...

I just made this and it is very good. I made it without the hot sauce because I have little ones and it is still plenty spicy. Thanks for sharing a yummy recipe.
Sheri