Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Bold Flowers

I'm finally getting yesterday's Color Challenge card posted this morning. I wasn't able to sit down to stamp until about 9:00 pm, since there were several things going on yesterday. Caroline had her first day of preschool -- she loved it and can't wait to go back tomorrow! At the same time that was going on here in Kentucky, my 6-month-old nephew was having open heart surgery in Charlotte, NC. He has a heart defect that requires a series of surgeries: this one was the second of three. This surgery went just as planned, and so far he's recovering as well as they hoped. The afternoon was filled with homework, soccer practice, and work (I tutor two evenings a week). I was definitely in need of a little sanity break last night! Unfortunately, the colors for the challenge (Taken With Teal, Purely Pomegranate, and Always Artichoke) only made me crazier!! :) I know it's a color challenge, but I just couldn't get my mojo to flow on this one. I decided, since it's a bold color combination, that I'd pull out some bold flowers, and I chose Papertrey Ink's Green Thumb set.



Cardstock used is Purely Pomegranate, Always Artichoke, Taken With Teal, and Whisper White. Ink used is Purely Pomegranate, Always Artichoke, and Taken With Teal. I used the flower images from the set for the center panel and the backgrounds. I also used Polka Dot on the artichoke panel. For the main image, I wanted to create some depth in the flowers without using another color ink. So, I stamped off once, then rock-n-rolled the flower in the same color ink before stamping. That gave just the variation in color that I wanted. The sentiment was stamped in Always Artichoke, then punched out with the Large Oval Punch. I sponged Purely Pomegranate around the image panel and the oval, then I distressed the panels with my Cutter Kit. I matted the oval on a 1 1/4" Circle and a Scalloped Circle. For added detail I pierced the scallops and added faux stitching & dots with a Marvy white gel pen. I finished it off with Purely Pomegranate Double Stitched Ribbon and mounted the image panel and scalloped circle on Stampin' Dimensionals.

Even though the colors definitely challenged me, I'm happy with how the card came out! I hope to get time to do the sketch challenge today, so be watching for that one! If you think about it, please say a prayer for my nephew, my brother, and sister-in-law. Thanks! And thanks for stopping by! :)

All products Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted.

2 comments:

Dawn Easton said...

Your card is WONDERFUL! It turned out GREAT!! I didn't get a chance to do the CC this week.
I will definitely keep your nephew and family in my prayers. Hope he has a speedy recovery and will grow to be a healthy young man!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful,

Florist data