Tuesday, June 14, 2011

MFT DT Creative Challenge: Playing with Paint!

In 2011, MFT is working harder than ever to inspire you, and we have come up with something we think you'll really enjoy. Our Design Team Creative Challenge is a new monthly feature, where we challenge our design team to explore their creative side using a specific theme, product or technique. This month, we've all been challenged to paint! Visit Kim's Blog for a full list of designers that have taken up the challenge!

My project is a magnet featuring painted flowers. Here's the finished product:



And here's a closeup of the flowers:


The project was really fun and easy. Here's the step-by-step (click on any photo for a closer view):


I used the Die-namics Pretty Posies die to cut three flowers from print paper.


I gave the flowers a coat of Tattered Rose Distress Crackle Paint, then I let it dry (if you're impatient like me, you can use a heat gun to speed the process).


I gave parts of the flowers another coat of paint, then I let them dry again. The thicker the paint, the more it will crackle.


I sponged Walnut Distress Ink into the cracks and around the edges of the flowers, then I sanded portions of the paint to allow the print to show through. I repeated the process until I was happy with how they looked.


I cut a piece of a printable Magnet Sheet with the Die-namics Textile Rectangle die. I cut another Textile Rectangle from a piece of BasicGrey Basics Manilla paper, then I adhered it over the printable side of the magnet sheet (the black magnetic side is on the back). I stamped the sentiment from Clearly Sentimental about Teaching, then I embellished with pleated paper and the assembled flower.





I hope you're inspired to try painting on your projects! Have fun! :)

Thanks so much for stopping by today! Have a great day!

Christina

14 comments:

Gabby said...

I like your layered, crackled flowers! :)

Melody said...

Great idea!

StampOwl said...

awesome flowers Christina

Karen Motz said...

The painted flower is so pretty and I love the magnet idea!!

Erin Smetak said...

Beautiful flowers Christina!!! Thanks for the tip about the more, thicker paint you have, the more it will crackle! I'll definitely have to try that out!

Megan said...

That is sooo pretty! I've never used that crackle paint--I just might have to pick some up. :)

Lisa H. said...

beautiful! looove those flowers....got to get me some of that crackle paint.

Kim said...

Gorgeous Christina!

dani.beckman said...

The painted flower is so fun! I will have to get out my crackle paint and try that out! This idea is a great gift idea.... Who can't use more magnets....gives me some ideas!!!

Unknown said...

thanks for the ideas!

Jodi Collins said...

That flower is magnificent and I ADORE that you turned this into a magnet!

Gail Goodman said...

What a great gift idea for teachers. Thank you for sharing it. I will have to scrap-lift this one.

Leslie Miller said...

Cute, Christina! The flower is so awesome. Love Crackle Paint. I like how you used the notebook-looking paper for this. Great project!

Jessie/knightrone said...

This is so FUN!!