Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Dark Side

No, I'm not talking about Star Wars. I'm talking about the most recent cards I made for the SCS Dare to Get Dirty Challenges. It's rare that I make cards with dark colors, which is odd, because I'm usually wearing brown (or my second favorite color, black). When I do make cards with dark colors, it's usually in the fall or for a monumental birthday! :)

This card combined shel9999's Distressing Challenge, iris's Chipboard Challenge, and WAXYO's Vintage Challenge. En Francais background and the flourish from Baroque Motifs were stamped on the River rock card base and panel with Versamark, then I chalked over them with Close to Cocoa and Chocolate Chip Stampin' Pastels. It created a much more subtle look than stamping with ink. The edges were sponged with River Rock, Close to Cocoa, and Choc Chip Classic Inks. The Old Olive, Choc Chip, and River Rock square panels were distressed with the Cutter Kit and the edges sponged with Choc Chip ink. I covered the pieces of chipboard from On Board Accents with Brocade Background Designer Series Paper, then sanded the edges and sponged with Choc Chip. I tied the new Chocolate Chip Taffeta Ribbon around the square panels and added Vintage Brads to the corner. The chipboard was mounted with Glue Dots. I stamped the sentiment from Hugs & Wishes with Choc Chip ink. I love the way this turned out -- I think I'll be doing some of these techniques again soon!

I made this card for jacksonbelle's challenge to make a Black and Brown Card. The Chocolate Chip card base was stamped with images from Polka Dots & Petals in Basic Black ink. The card base, Au Chocolat paper, and photo corner (made with the Photo Corners Punch) were all sponged on the edges with Basic Black. The Basic Black mat around the main image is paper pierced along the bottom. The tabs were made with a 3/4" Circle Punch. I punched a hole in each with a 1/8" Handheld Punch, then tied Natural Hemp Twine through them. The bicycle image is from Creative Mode (purchased at Gina K.'s site), and the sentiment is from A Muse. It is stamped with Basic Black ink, and the edges of the panel are sponged with Close to Cocoa. I added Vintage Brads to the photo corner, and I mounted the the image panel and photo corner on dimensionals.

I wanted to make this card in honor of Team Flying Fish. Team Flying Fish rides in the MS150 Bike Tour every year since 1999. The journey began when my husband Chris's brother, Tony, was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) in April of 1999. Since Tony's diagnosis, the Fischer family and countless friends have been involved in fundraising efforts to find a cure. Chris and Tony were the first (and only two) members of Team Flying Fish to cross the finish line --together -- after their first MS150 in June of 1999. Since then the team has grown to almost 60 riders, and they participate in MS150 tours in Kentucky, Ohio, and Tennessee. So, to all the members of Team Flying Fish, this is for you -- may the journey be your reward, and thanks for all you do to help find a cure!

All products are from Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted.

No comments: