Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Christmas in July -- in October!


I made this card for the CPS/CardMaker Magazine card design contest. I had to use the sketch shown below and choose a theme: Patriotic, Travel Postcards, Summer Parties, or Christmas in July. The winners will be featured in the July 2008 issue of CardMaker magazine. The deadline is Saturday, October 6 -- go over to CPS and check it out!

This one took me a while -- I fussed and fussed over the layout and details, but I'm finally happy with the result! Obviously, I chose the Christmas in July theme -- I took it quite literally, because there are summer flowers in the background paper!! :) It's really a country Christmas in July card -- the sponging, distressing and faux stitching give it a shabby look that coordinates perfectly with the Daisy D's paper.

The small poinsettias are from the Season of Joy set (SU!), and the large poinsettia is a chunky foam stamp I have had in my cabinet for years!!! I think it's the first time it's seen ink! I stamped them in Ruby Red ink, cut them out, and sponged around and on them with Always Artichoke ink. I applied Always Artichoke ink directly to the chipboard, then I sanded the edges to distress them. I drew the faux stitches with an Always Artichoke marker. The sentiment is from Gina K. Designs. I used circle punches to create the tag then sponged around the sentiment.

Even if it isn't a winner, someone will get a lovely Christmas card from us this year!! :)

Thanks for visiting -- have a great day!

Stamps: Season of Joy (SU!), peace (Gina K. Designs), lg foam poinsettia Ink: Ruby Red, Always Artichoke Cardstock: Always Artichoke, Ruby Red Paper: French Market Swatches (Daisy D's) Other: On Board Accents chipboard, gold cord, 1 1/4" circle punch, 1 3/8" circle punch, 1/4" circle punch, 1/8" handheld punch, 1 1/4" square punch (all SU!), gold glitter glue, sage organdy ribbon, sanding block, sponge, dimensionals

9 comments:

Dawn Easton said...

Oh my word! I'm speechless! This card is breathtaking Christina!! You will win! Oh my gosh!! So beautiful!

Anonymous said...

WOOHOO!!! It's gorgeous!! Good luck, Christina! :)

Cathy Rulli said...

It's beautiful - good luck!!!

Alex said...

That is a BEAUTIFUL card!! This is my first time to your blog (found you through Dawn and Treasure Oiler Designz) and I am amazed by your beautiful creations! I will be back often as I now have you bookmarked. I definitely think this card is already a winner! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Anonymous said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Not that you need it -- this is gorgeous!! By the way, thank you for your sweet comments to me over the past couple of days! I'm adding you to my blogroll and my bookmarks -- don't you just love finding a new friend based on mutual admiration?! : )

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL card for this not so easy sketch! Good luck! Hugs and smiles

Anonymous said...

Great card for the sketch and them ... beautiful.

Diane Gilbert said...

Wow! This is BEAUTIFUL!

Anonymous said...

OOOOh this is STUNNING! I absolutely LOVE IT!!! Great job and good luck! :)