Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Priceless Butterfly


Hello! I realize it's been a few days since I last posted. It's been a busy week so far -- we've had the usual practices, games, and homework, combined with trying to pack up our Christmas things and get ready to have Chris's family over this Friday night. We'll be celebrating his dad's 75th birthday!

Also, last week, a car accident took the life of the daughter of Kyle's Freshman basketball coach. She was 18 years old. The funeral service was last night. Although it was heartbreaking and difficult to attend, it was also a beautiful celebration of a young life. She graduated high school last year with the daughters of several of my friends, so it was very difficult to see all those girls in their grief. In addition to her father being a long-time basketball coach at Kyle's high school, her brother plays basketball on the JV and Varsity teams. Kyle, along with the rest of the basketball players, sat in a section near the family in their white shirts and ties. It was amazing to see the outpouring of love given by those teenage boys to their grieving friend.

The family used a butterfly to symbolize her life. The theme was used throughout the service, from the programs to the photos to the eulogy. I came home and made this card to send to the family.

The colors are from yesterday's Color Challenge at SCS, and the layout is Jen del Muro's Sketch for You to Try. The banana panels are Cuttlebugged, and I sponged Wild Wasabi ink on those panels and around the center image panel. The butterfly was stamped twice, once on the panel and a second time on a separate piece of cardstock. The second butterfly was cut out, and I used my Quickie glue pen to add Dazzling Diamonds glitter to it. I folded up the wings and attached it to the panel with a glue dot.

I'm hoping to get a little time in the next couple days to do some more stamping, so I hope you'll come back to visit. Thanks for stopping by -- and if you have kids, hug them a little tighter today.

Stamps: Priceless (SU!) Ink: Blue Bayou, Wild Wasabi (SU!) Cardstock: Wild Wasabi, Blue Bayou, Barely Banana (SU!); Crafters Select White (Papertrey Ink) Paper: Stella Ruby (BasicGrey) Other: Wild Wasabi and Blue Bayou stitched grosgrain, DD glitter, Earth Elements brads (SU!); Quickie Glue Pen; Cuttlebug and Stylized Flowers embossing folder (Provo Craft)

10 comments:

Dawn Easton said...

Oh my Christina, such a tragedy. It's nice to see a community come together like that though. I'm sorry for their loss.
Your card is perfect to send to the family. You did a wonderful job. It's never easy making a card in certain circumstances.

Debbie said...

Christina,
What a wonderful card...I am sure the family will greatly appreciate it....it is always extremely difficult to lose a young child. Thoughts and prayers go out to her family and yours.
Take Care

Tricia T said...

The card is beautiful, Christina, and I know it will be a blessing to the family.

Melissa said...

It's a beautiful card and even more beautiful gesture on your part....

Many Blessings,
Melissa

Sharon said...

This is a beautiful card! I'm sure it will mean alot to that family. We'll keep them in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

This is awesome Christina!! I love the colors and layout! Fantastic!! I've been meaning to tell you how awesome your work in Take Ten is! My mom was lovin' them too! :) Congrats!

Keri Lee Sereika said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keri Lee Sereika said...

Beautiful beautiful card Christina...well done...and I know the family will be touched...

Anonymous said...

So very pretty, Christina, and so very sad. I just cannot imagine. I'm sure they will love your beautiful card. Hugs and prayers to them!

barb said...

Beautiful card and layout. I'm sure the family will appreciate your thoughtfulness. Prayers for all.